Monday, May 10, 2010

Liberated Wedding Ring

I decided tonight after looking on flickr that I read far too many blogs and look at way too many quilt pictures. I thought my completed top was a Becky original. No, not original. My little brain stored this beauty away after seeing it else where. So back to flickr, tonight I found out this is a "Liberated Wedding Ring" from Gwen Marston. I love Gwen, so I'm glad that I was able to replicate something she came up without her pattern. I need to figure out some sort of cool quilting pattern for the black squares.

The pattern was very easy to replicate.  I used some packs of charm squares that I picked up for another project.  I cut them in half and then mixed them up and sewed them back together.  The black fabric is a 7 inch square cut in half.  I cut the stripped fabric long enough that both ends would clear the longest side of my 1/2 square triangle.  Once the block was sewn I re-sized each block to 8 1/2 inches. I think I'm going to have to make another using all sorts of scraps instead of a single fabric line.  With a light background instead of something so dark.  While I love the way the black looks, it shows every stray thread, cat hair and piece of lint that I might have on my basement floor.

This week is MQS (Machine Quilter's Showcase). Can't wait to go and see all the beauties and do a little shopping. This year I'm going to spend my cash on thread. Now that I have my new machine to quilt with, it will be fun to get some new thread and maybe a template or two. And maybe some fabric. Ok, I see my budget being blown all to heck.

Have a great night.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jacquie said...

isn't it funny when that happens. you think you have something original and there is it somewhere else. oh well, it must have been great thinking it through and putting it together. enjoy mqs!