Monday, March 24, 2014

Ice Dyeing

This weekend I decided to try some ice dyeing.  My daughter had a friend over so I thought that might be a fun project for 2 10 year olds.  I got some white pillowcases at my local Wal-Mart and we went to town.

Ice Dyeing
We did 4 containers, but I only got 2 in the picture.

I washed the pillowcases and asked the girls if they wanted their names embroidered.  The answer was yes.  The look is similar if not the same as parfait snow dyeing.  Definitely think we will try it again with smaller cubes of ice.  Maybe I can hit up the ice machine at work on a Friday night before I leave.  I might even try to sweet talk someone that works at Sonic to see if I can get some of their ice.   I call it "turd ice" because the cubes are really small.  Not crushed, but small.  I think the dye might spread better.  Also a warmer day would probably be better.
Ice Dyed Pillowcase

The colors appear very dark, but they weren't. Kaylin used Bubble Gum and Raspberry to dye her pillowcase. I really wish the colors showed up better.
Ice Dyed Pillowcase

I still need to get a picture of the Brilliant Blue and Avacado pillowcase that we made for my husband.  I think I might embroider something sweet and sappy on his.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: