Friday, January 4, 2008

Honoring Kansas Victory

In honor of the University of Kansas winning the Orange bowl last night, I thought I would show 2 quilts I made.

The first is a king size quilt that I made for my husband. He's a huge Jayhawk fan, so I thought it would be fun to surprise him with a quilt. The Jayhawk blocks were found at a shop in Baldwin City, Kansas during the first Kansas City Quilt Shop Hop in 1997. I wasn't really sure what to do with them since they were screen printed and a bit bigger than I anticipated for the center of a block. After searching for the perfect Crimson & Blue fabrics, I decided on a variation of the log cabin that I had spied in an Eleanor Burns book.


Here is an up close of one of the blocks.


The second KU quilt I made was in 2004 for my newborn daughter. I figured that dad would be really impressed with me if I made a quilt for her with his favorite team mascot on it. I found the baby Jayhawk blocks at the same quilt store I purchased his from. A friend had a book that showed how to make the blocks so they sat on an angle. I think the book is Twist and Shout, but I can't seem to remember the name.


And a close up of one of the blocks.


1 comment:

Tamera said...

AWESOME quilts!

I grew up in Kansas. I didn't attend KU, but I was sure proud that they did so well this season.