Thursday, September 2, 2010

RIP

Today was my friend Beverly's funeral. She passed away peacefully late Sunday afternoon after battling with Stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma. Bev will most definitely be missed by a lot of people.  I'm sad that she's gone, but I'm so glad that she walked through my life.  What a fun and crazy lady who always had a good sense of humor about things.  There was never a story that she told that I didn't get lost somewhere along the way and have to have her circle back to pick me up.  After you get to know someone, you finally figure out their storytelling style and you can follow along.  For some reason, Bev's stories were just too crazy.  But they were great, that's for sure.
From As The Quilts Turn

Now for the story her husband shared with us at the lunch today.  I get goose bumps every time I think about it.  I'm not overly religious, although I do believe there is an Almighty Father.  Believe me, I'm not going to get preachy because that is so NOT me.  Any how.  Today Joe shared that Bev received a hydrangea bush when she finished her Catholic classes and became a member of the Catholic church.  The bush never bloomed, but it has survived 13 years.  Joe shared with us that he looked at the bush Sunday after Bev passed and it had a single bloom on it.  Today he checked the bush before leaving for the funeral and it was loaded with blooms.  He told us that he felt God was talking to him.  I really have to believe he was.  My take was that he was saying not to forget the beauty in things or people.  And even though things hurt right now, you will see that beauty again in all things.

So with that, thank you for letting me share about my BEAUTIFUL friend Beverly.


4 comments:

Barb said...

What a lovely tribute to our friend.

Cheri said...

Perfect timing. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

How very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you were blessed with a friend like Beverly. The hydrangea story gives me goosebumps, too! Something similar happened to my mother. We have a peony that's been in her mother's family for more than 90 years. We thought it was lost, but found it - straggly and pitiful - and planted it in our yard around the time that my grandmother passed away. The next year on grandma's birthday the scrawny peony put out five beautiful flowers, one for each of her children.